Extruder clogged on arrival

helping you get the most out of your RigidBot extruder

Extruder clogged on arrival

Postby rejsmont » 07 Oct 2014, 10:04

Hi guys,

I have recently received the assembled RigidBot. Yesterday I got my stock of blue tape and wanted to try the machine out. However to my surprise I was unable to load the filament. The fibre seems to be inside the hot end but pushing it manually or using extrude manual control does not seem to do anything. The reported temperature seems fine. I have tried to push an 0.2mm wire into the extruder from the outside, but was also unable to do that.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Best,

R.
Last edited by rejsmont on 07 Oct 2014, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
rejsmont

Re: Extruder clogged on arrival

Postby spiderdaddy » 07 Oct 2014, 12:07

Hi, you will have to take it apart and check for blockages.
Welcome to the world of 3D printing. Even though you have an assembled you will still need to do this from time to time.

Af far as cleaning it is concerned I would avoid wire. Either use a can of compressed air or leave the tip in acetone for a while for ABS. You might just have to clean the PTFE tube.

Once you have unscrewed the tip you could post some photos if you are still not sure.
spiderdaddy

Postby rejsmont » 07 Oct 2014, 13:37

Thanks spiderdaddy, will give it a try.

Best,

R.
rejsmont

Postby rejsmont » 08 Oct 2014, 14:24

As a follow up on the extruder issue - I have found that the plastic feeder tube has a different diameter on entry (~1,80mm) and the exit end (~1,2mm) and the finer never makes it to the hot end. Also the brass extruder is clogged with something, although it has never seen any molten plastic.

I have requested replacement of these parts with invent-a-part and I am waiting for their reply now.
rejsmont

Postby spiderdaddy » 08 Oct 2014, 21:53

Try putting the brass tip in some acetone for a couple of hours and then some compressed air.
spiderdaddy

Return to Extruders