dont trust the home-brew extruder from IAP?

helping you get the most out of your RigidBot extruder

dont trust the home-brew extruder from IAP?

Postby bobnojio » 24 Apr 2014, 13:56

for those of us who are worried that Michael is re-inventing a perfectly good wheel by replacing it with a brick, or in other words think that Michaels home grown, unproven, untested extruder is likely to be shit,

e3d is a pretty good replacement

and its even sold via filastruder! http://www.filastruder.com/products/all ... e3d-hotend
bobnojio

Re: dont trust the home-brew extruder from IAP?

Postby philB » 24 Apr 2014, 15:48

Thank you, that is helpful to know.

I was looking at the Pico all-metal hotend too - do we know how that would compare?

I was sad to see the RigidBot wouldn't feature an object cooling fan. :(
MakerBot Replicator 2
RigidBot Big (Coming soon hopefully!)
philB

Postby John Bigbie » 24 Apr 2014, 20:58

This sounds like an advertisement rather than a real troubleshooting issue. Lets wait for a trial period before pushing such prejudging. If your trying to sell something, put it in another forum as in modifications/upgrades. So far the prints look great.
John Bigbie

Postby noog » 24 Apr 2014, 21:09

Of course, It's far too early to tell yet..

The newer revision of RigidBot extruder looks much more heavy duty than the original proposed one, and we've heard no complaints in the beta tester's reviews so I would be minded to keep my original extruders (especially as I've ordered the dual extruder and am unsure about how I'd retrofit E3D/Pico.

As far as I can tell the main/only(?) advantage is being able to print in exotic materials that require a hotter print temperature, such as taulman's Nylon. Correct me if I'm wrong though!
noog

Postby jlogajan » 26 Apr 2014, 14:13

250 C ought to be high enough to print nylon. I'm going to wait until there are issues reported before thinking about swapping out extruders.
jlogajan

Postby Coyoteman » 27 Apr 2014, 02:24

Before looking at other hot ends, I will see if I can add insulation around the PEEK insert or replace it with something more heat resistant.
Coyoteman

Postby jlogajan » 27 Apr 2014, 08:48

Here are some relative material thermal conductivities to give an idea what is possible for thermal insulation...

Vacuum 0
Air 0.024
Styrofoam 0.033
Glass wool 0.04
Calcium silicate 0.05
Teflon, PTFE 0.25
Cement, portland 0.29
Glass 1.05
Porcelain 1.5
Stainless Steel 16
Carbon Steel 54
Brass 109
Aluminum 205
jlogajan

Postby jacobsdr » 02 Aug 2014, 01:04

I know a lot of people are starting to look at replacement extruders but so far for me the IAP one with the new heater block has been working fine. My concern is that I heating up to 235C to get the PLA to stick to my build plate (which has painters tape and set at 60C) and from what I gather from other sites PLA should be much lower. I haven't even tried ABS yet but I worry that the either the hotend isn't up to par or that the thermistor is giving the wrong temp info back to the controller. Therefor when set to 235 it really is at 180-235C, I need to get a temp gun to get live readings to compare. QC/QA seem to have been pretty low on the list at IAP.
jacobsdr

Postby spiderdaddy » 02 Aug 2014, 09:05

It would be great for someone to get some good calibrated temperature readings. It does seem really odd that everybody is extruding PLA at such a high temperature. It could of course be that white PLA which was shipped with the RB.

If you could publish your findings that would be great.
spiderdaddy

Postby Klantz » 05 Aug 2014, 03:04

I just recently finished my filament from IAP and bought a couple rolls of the "cheap" $22 stuff on amazon. There is a HUGE difference. I am getting a lot more stringing and still haven't got the settings back to where I'm getting smooth prints. I can print much lower temps though than the stuff from IAP without getting the clicking.
Klantz

Next

Return to Extruders