Gantry Assembly Issues - Smooth Rod Stucked - Help please

Troubleshooting for the mechanical elements of the RigidBot

Gantry Assembly Issues - Smooth Rod Stucked - Help please

Postby ingsiang » 30 Oct 2014, 07:29

Hello,

I am ingSiang, one of the earliest backer of Rigidbot and I am from Brunei which is a small country in South East Asia with very little/slow access to replacement parts and etc so I am getting really worried about getting my newly received Rigidbot working.

Like everyone else on the International Shipping bandwagon - my printer went around the world 5 times (I assume), taking a total of 3-4 months and finally reaches me. (Note: I am on China Post since by the time they decided to give FEDEX a shot, my printer was already shipped, 3 months ago, or so they say).

Anyway, enough rant - hello and I am here to learn and hopefully contribute one day.

I am very new to 3D printing although I am trained as a mechanical engineer.

I amputting together my Rigidbot since receiving it few days ago, and I am stuck @ the gantry assembly (wiki/index.php?title=Gantry_Assembly). I can't get the 1007 to fit through the smooth rod.

What should I do? Currently I have ONE 1007 stuck on one of the rod. They're too tight.

Do you think wiping the rods with WD-40 would help?
ingsiang

Re: Gantry Assembly Issues - Smooth Rod Stucked - Help pleas

Postby spiderdaddy » 01 Nov 2014, 09:50

Hi, yes this was a tight fit. It does need to be to a certain extent. I would suggest that you check the following.

Firstly you should clean the rods with some alcohol or similar.
Then wipe the rods with some oil, 3-in-1 or regular sewing machine oil, nothing fancy. no grease.
Then check that there is no plastic residue on the inside of the 1007.

After that you should be able to get the rods in and out, but it is good for them to remain tight.

This applies to all rods including the z-rods, make sure you get in the grooves with a rag or tissue.
spiderdaddy

Return to Mechanical