Getting lost

Troubleshooting for the mechanical elements of the RigidBot

Getting lost

Postby dgwinner » 20 Aug 2014, 23:24

Hi All,

Did a test print of a calibration cube and it came out really good. So, started laying out some toys for my kids. It seems the printer is getting lost during the first few layers of the job. Pieces are being over layed on each other.

I cleaned up the cables more to reduce drag. Any other reason this might be happening?
dgwinner

Re: Getting lost

Postby spiderdaddy » 21 Aug 2014, 22:16

Did you clean and oil the z-rods.
Same applies for the x and y axes.
If there are still issues then post pictures or check the pictoral troubleshooting guides here http://rigidtalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
spiderdaddy

Postby mavgrab302 » 22 Aug 2014, 13:29

I added lithium grease to the bearings inside the slide bushings..there are three strip sets of bearing running the length of them..from auto camshafts to 3d printer..lol
mavgrab302

Postby spiderdaddy » 22 Aug 2014, 19:51

There was some discussion on g+ recently that lithium is not good because it dries out and then makes it worse.
My understanding was that superlube or sowing machine oil was the best.
spiderdaddy

Postby mavgrab302 » 05 Sep 2014, 01:40

I'll have to check it out but the lithium I have is silicon based and made for rubber bushing and won't degrade the rubber.
mavgrab302

Postby DrMerlin » 25 Sep 2014, 16:59

I've done a few successful prints, and then all of the sudden this is happening to me too.

I watch the first couple of layers go down, and then I walk away and it looks like it started to mess up as soon as I stopped watching it.

My last successful print was a 20 hour job and was 7 inches tall. It wasn't without a few issues, but all the layers were stacked correctly X & Y. However, Cura crashed and I lost my printer settings... not sure if this new behaviour has something to do with that.
DrMerlin

Postby DrMerlin » 16 Oct 2014, 21:05

For me it was printing things that didn't have a flat bottom without attaching them to the table with brim.

Now that I've learned about brim (and less-so raft) this isn't happening to me anymore.
DrMerlin

Postby sciencelookers » 31 Dec 2014, 19:54

Mine has always done this. I have never gotten a good print out of it. I assumed they were all crap, given the 2 years of BS, and the way they rushed them all out in the end after losing money on the Kickstarter project. I joined the forum and am amazed at least some people have gotten theirs to work.

My printer does not print all the layers directly on top of each other. Different layers are always offset by a mm or two. This always happens on whatever axis you call the moving bed. The axis that moves the nozzle from side to side works OK, as does the Z as far as I can tell. I tried everything in the settings, even ridiculously slow speeds, reducing flow to 60 percent, and printing on a different area of the build table to avoid that screw they ran too far up through the bottom of the build table.

For some reason, layers are always offset in the same direction, resulting in a leaning tower effect, but it happens a lot, very early on, so more like squished doughnuts not stacked very good. A tower implies it gained some height before screwing up, which does not happen. I start a print, go away, come back in 5 minutes to find a mess, abort, try new settings and repeat. Nothing works.

Has anyone found a fix for this?
sciencelookers

Postby troubadixx » 31 Dec 2014, 21:38

Bed. axis is the y axis.

Are the y rods well aligned - can you move the bed by hand without much force?

Is the y belt tight?

Is the y axis pot adjusted so that the stepper driver puts enough juice out to the stepper? (see the wiki for details)

There may be other causes, but the above are quite frequent. Check the wiki for more ideas if the above is done and doesn't help.

Hope that helps!
Cheers and happy new year!
troubadixx

Postby sciencelookers » 01 Jan 2015, 13:54

The bed moves very easily. As easily as the X-axis side to side movement of the print head. I did retension the belt a couple of times. Yesterday, I finally took the control board out and did some adjusting of the pot. It actually seemed to do some good. Instead of a quarter inch stack of layers which deviate from where they should be by an inch, I now made a part an inch and a half tall with layers shifting front to back by only an eighth of an inch. I'm also getting some deviation front to back now, whereas before it looked like all layers deviated in the same direction for some reason.

I'll check the link for instructions how to do the current adjustment right. Thanks. Was about ready to give up on the machine.
sciencelookers

Return to Mechanical