Don't forget to clean your Z-Rods!

Troubleshooting for the mechanical elements of the RigidBot

Don't forget to clean your Z-Rods!

Postby itaaronbailey » 23 Apr 2014, 21:19

Just a reminder to all about to embark on building their RigidBot - Michael mentioned in the Apr 1st update that we must clean our Z-rods as they are being supplied from the factory dirty! :)
itaaronbailey

Re: Don't forget to clean your Z-Rods!

Postby bobnojio » 24 Apr 2014, 13:54

now heres a question. if Im buying a "fully assembled, calibrated, ready to print" printer, shouldnt invent-a-part be the ones to scrub my rod?
bobnojio

Postby philB » 24 Apr 2014, 15:31

I believe if you've ordered the preassembled RigidBot then your rod does indeed come "pre-scrubbed" :mrgreen:
MakerBot Replicator 2
RigidBot Big (Coming soon hopefully!)
philB

Postby Grimm » 22 Jul 2014, 14:35

Clean how exactly? Just some good old elbow grease and a rag? Also my table supports were very troublesome, to the point where I had to work em on over 3 hours. I was thinking of using a dry lube to reduce the last bits of resistance, any advice?
Grimm

Postby JP6364 » 24 Jul 2014, 00:37

I had problems even after cleaning with a brass brush and solvent. I looked at the Z-Rod with my magnifier.
It appears that the threaded rod had been dropped on something which flat-topped the threads.
I took a small needle file to the threads and got it working top to bottom.
The other one is MUCH worse. I'll try working on it some tomorrow during lunch.
JP6364

Postby jacobsdr » 02 Aug 2014, 00:58

I must not have seen/heard that part from Micheal. I had lots of problems with my z-axis until I cleaned and lubed it. I used a thick cloth that I sprayed WD40 on then wiped the threads, actually had prontrface turn the motors for me. Once cleaned and dried, I then applied a decent coat of super lube (synthetic grease with PTFE). That lube came was recommend by multiple users on the G+ community. It is also important to note not to just spray WD40 on the rods directly because it could get run down in to the motor and even bring down crap from the rods into the motor. That is why applying the WD40 to the cloth is a good idea.
jacobsdr

Postby n8080 » 11 Aug 2014, 23:59

I was using my z-rods without cleaning and then they started to squeak after about 10 hours of printing so I sprayed WD40 on a cloth as suggested and cleaned them. A lot of dirt/grease came off them and it doesn't squeak anymore.

My question is, is it necessary to put grease on them?
n8080

Postby jacobsdr » 14 Aug 2014, 22:05

I am not sure if it is necessary but probably can't hurt?
jacobsdr

Postby DrMerlin » 15 Sep 2014, 21:53

My rods were really nasty and the brass nut wouldn't slide up or down without much force. Cleaning them with WD-40 and a cloth and oiling them with machine oil seemed to help- but I'm sure they could use some more work to make them smoother. I haven't started printing yet, but I am concerned that there is too much resistance between the rods and the nuts.

Just came across this: wiki/index.php?title=Z_Axis_troubleshooting Perhaps this is more my problem rather than too much friction on the last 1/4 inch of the Z-Rod.
DrMerlin

Return to Mechanical