X axis not working, and max limit switch problem

Troubleshooting any electronic elements of the RigidBot

X axis not working, and max limit switch problem

Postby acucci » 31 Jul 2014, 17:46

I think these might actually be two different problems but I'm posting them together just in case they are related.

The x axis does not work. I switched motors and still nothing. A check of the limit switch status with M119 shows that the X-Max is TRIGGERED, all others are OPEN. Manually activating the X limit switch returns X-Min TRIGGERED, so switch is ok. M114 code returns X position of 0.00. If I try to jog right I get a "endstop hit", if I try to move left, nothing happens. If I jog left and check position with M114, the X position has changed. So it thinks the motor has moved when nothing has happened.

Any additional troubleshooting ideas?
acucci

Re: X axis not working, and max limit switch problem

Postby acucci » 04 Aug 2014, 20:31

I've posted my findings over at the Google+ Community, but I figured I'd do my part to improve content here.

It looks like my the capacitor C59 is shot, either blown or shorted. This would probably explain the X-MAX TRIGGERED status.

A closer inspection of the board revealed a missing resistor, R18, that is part of the X-Axis. I'm betting this is the reason the X-Axis does not move at all.

So looks like both problems are due to bad board manufacturing and testing.
acucci

Postby mavgrab302 » 17 Aug 2014, 04:22

what is M119...sorry new to the 3d printing world..
I may have an issue not totally sure but when i press "home" on the LCD or just before a print my X axis like vibrates loudly against the stop switch. Like the motor is going back and forth very quickly, not hard enough to ove the switch but seems wrong...prints fine though so im not sure..
mavgrab302

Postby spiderdaddy » 17 Aug 2014, 11:58

M119 is a gcode command to return the status of the limit switches. http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code.

gcode is what is generated by the slicing software and is basically the commands which tell the print head where to move to and what to extrude at each point.
spiderdaddy

Postby mavgrab302 » 17 Aug 2014, 16:38

Oh i see...sorry im new..well turns out the x axis does push my limit switch further down the rod...I ohm'ed the switch so i know it works but what is the point in having limit switches if motors will push them even when tripped.How do I correct that?..Also is it normal for the print to start centered and in the back of the plate..how can I correct that so it is centered on plate..
mavgrab302

Postby spiderdaddy » 17 Aug 2014, 22:16

mavgrab302 don't apologise. There are no stupid questions. That's how we all help each other and learn.
spiderdaddy

Postby mavgrab302 » 18 Aug 2014, 02:16

Any ideas on my issue? I did find on guy wih very similar issues but no fix
mavgrab302

Postby greg » 18 Aug 2014, 18:07

Kind of replying to you all over the board here, but I'm seeing different questions in different threads. If you've used a multimeter on the limit switches then you are either having a problem with the ribbon cables (you can test with the MM) or the board itself. The movement for the 'home' operation will stop when the limit switch for that axis is tripped.

As far as starting "centered in the back of the plate" that sounds wrong. The origin is supposed to be the far left front end of the plate. If you have a Big printer but the build volume in the firmware is set to 254,248,254 then max-x will be a bit right of center. Sounds like your Y axis may be reversed and there's an article on the wiki about that. (the belt holder is likely mounted backward on the build plate) You can fix it mechanically or in firmware by reversing the axis.
greg

Postby mavgrab302 » 18 Aug 2014, 22:23

just to clear..it starts printing center rear..but home is far left where it bangs the stop, just making sure you didnt think home was in rear...I guess I'm not understanding where or how to set the zero's or something. ...yeah I tested each tiny end on the ribbon to extruder as well..and the tranmister ohms at 105 at room temp 24 deg C..I tested it by heating it and it moves so I'm just not sure. I'm leaning to firmware but I don't know much about it...I've reloaded the latest a few times but same thing...Installed pronterface today and i can heat the bed move all axis but it will not heat and doesnt say any failures, even the main board lights up when i press heat but not a thing happens..
mavgrab302

Return to Electronics