getting temp error cannot print

Troubleshooting any electronic elements of the RigidBot

getting temp error cannot print

Postby Souplord » 03 Jul 2014, 04:38

part way through a print I walk in and see my printer stopped. It is reporting a temperature error. Turned off the printer and removed the partial build. Restart the build. set the bed to heat up to 63c and the hot end to heat to 215c watch to confirm the system heats up and the build starts. Start to walk away and hear the printer has stopped. Looking at the printer the print head has not even got a quarter the way through the first line of the brim before it fails. So turn the system off again unplug it wait a minute then plug in and turn it back on and all I get is the error in the attached image.

Maybe the gcode file is corrupted. so I open my slicer and re-import my stl and export the gcode to a fresh file. again this fails as well. it does not even get to the point of starting the print. the print head give a little twitch then stops with the attached error.

Okay maybe I need to reset the system to the default settings. Go into the settings and reset the system to default. Thinking maybe something got tweaked that I was unaware of. Nope still barely get a twitch out of the print head when I try to start a new build.

I have noticed that the temp for the hot end will go about 4 or 5 degrees higher then what I set build temps too. but it always cooled back down to the temps I had set the build to print at.

Now that I have tried everything I can think of I could use some help getting the system working again. it was working just fine earlier this today(7/2)
Attachments
IMG_20140702_204553283[1].jpg
IMG_20140702_204553283[1].jpg (590.78 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Souplord

Re: getting temp error cannot print

Postby spiderdaddy » 03 Jul 2014, 12:35

You can check that there is no gcode issue by heating up the hot-end using pronterface or whatever and then extruding some plastic.

However if you are getting a repeated mintemp error then this could mean that you have a faulty heater cartridge or a faulty thermistor. Unfortunately I don't have my RB yet so I can't tell you what resistances to check. Perhaps someone has put this on the Wiki by now.

Another possibility is that you need to run the PID tunin: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M303:_Run_PID_tuning Read the info for M303 and M304 and the link for PID tuning at least 6 times beforehand.
spiderdaddy

Postby Souplord » 03 Jul 2014, 14:21

I have already had a couple dozen builds print out without any issues. Then last night *bam* I get these temperature errors :P

I tried using both Cura and SLic3r to generate the Gcode file. Also I tried preheating the build bed to the desired temps.

I will tried the PID tunin see if that has any effect. But like you I am thinking it might be the Thermistor
Souplord

Postby spiderdaddy » 04 Jul 2014, 22:48

I'm guessing the thermistor is going to measure about 100K Ohms when measured unconnected. That might give you an indication. Also check out on the Wiki the information about thermistor issues which several people have had.
spiderdaddy

Postby Souplord » 06 Jul 2014, 21:04

Could not tell what the resistance is no volt meter.

I tried unplugging and replace and that worked long enough to just clear the min temp error message. Unfortunately when I tried to print something it failed with a min temp error within seconds of starting.

I wish more people would use the forum here as Google group is horrible for finding info. But dang it sure looks nifty. So as it stands I am at a loss for what to do this fix this if I can. I have submitted a support ticket and will have to wait for them to get back to me.

Thank you for your help
Souplord

Postby spiderdaddy » 06 Jul 2014, 22:44

People will slowly come over here as more people get their printers and there is more discussion about technical topics rather than just 'look what I printed'.

A $20 digital multimeter should be part of your toolkit if you are going to be printing. You will need to check voltages and resistances.

I would guess that you have one of these issues: http://rigidtalk.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... tor_Issues and measuring would help you to find out.
spiderdaddy

Postby Souplord » 08 Jul 2014, 16:12

Great so now I need to learn how using a multi meter in addition to how to use the printer *sigh* kinda figured they would have had better support but I guess i got what I paid for. Caveat emptor I guess
Souplord

Postby spiderdaddy » 09 Jul 2014, 16:56

Currently 3D printing for under $1000 still requires that you have a modicum of electronics and hand working skills. If you want plug and play that costs more.

Printers like the RB and several others which have come out throughout this year are certainly pushing the price envelope and this will help to get features developed which will get us in that direction. But all of these machines are still essentially based on RepRap designs and not yet consumer products in the way that a inkjet or a laser printer is. Mean Time Between Failure is certainly still in the order of hours.

Realistically this product, as with any other will take another year to iron out the bulk of the issues.
spiderdaddy

Postby harrisrobert » 01 Aug 2014, 01:54

I have been doing a lot of research on the mintemp and a lot of problems are centered around the thermistor going bad. Is there anything we can do to protector the thermistor from breaking after just doing a few 3D prints. What could be causing it to break? Does anyone have the specs on the RigidBot thermistor. I am beginning to wonder if it is not rated for more than 200 degrees C. I checked the thermistors( I have 2 as part of my order) before I installed it and one was broken right out the box and the other had a 100 ohm reading from my meter when I check continuity. With the thermistor that was okay I got 1 really great print out. Now I get the mintemp error also and yes the second thermistor has no reading when I checked it with my meter (in other words it is open....) There is a break somewhere in the thermistor. Will inventApart replace these thermistors. I do not believe replacements are going to behave any differently. InventApart can you tell all of us what is going on here. Is there a more reliable replacement or a fix that can be made to protect the thermistor from breaking every 2 hours.

Rob H.
harrisrobert

Postby spiderdaddy » 01 Aug 2014, 17:47

I don't know how much IAP frequents this site.

Would be good to send a support ticket to them so they get a picture of what is wrong.

Also documenting anything you find on the wiki would be great and help others.

Thanks
spiderdaddy

Next

Return to Electronics