First Print- Limit switches not working?

Troubleshooting any electronic elements of the RigidBot

First Print- Limit switches not working?

Postby DrMerlin » 09 Sep 2014, 21:51

I'm following the videos and was currently working through steps on this page:

wiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started#Test_print_and_calibrate_.28fine_tuning.29

I installed Pronterface and could move all three axes just fine. However, it was easy to over move an axis and cause the belt to start skipping. It seems the limit switches aren't working?

I installed the limit switches with the switch faces the gantry and wired it into the correct ports on the motherboard.

Any ideas?
DrMerlin

Re: First Print- Limit switches not working?

Postby Scatterplot » 09 Sep 2014, 21:58

First, check and make sure they activate by hand. Try moving the axis and manually pushing the lever until it clicks. If it stops, then the switch works, but isn't being actuated.

If it DOESN'T stop, then the switch is either broken or miswired. Check all of your wiring connections to make sure it's wired right. If you have a multimeter, you can check continuity through the switch.

One trick would be to press the limit switches on all three axes while moving in just one- for example, command a +50mm move in X. While it's moving, click each limit switch- that way you can tell if you accidentally swapped the X and Y switch wires, for example. If nothing happens during the +50mm move, do a -50mm move and repeat the test, as the limit switches may only stop motion in one direction.
Scatterplot

Postby mavgrab302 » 10 Sep 2014, 12:44

I had the same issue..make sure your limit switch wires are going to the correct axiss. Then check with an ohm meter with the switches off, press them and should ohm out. If that is fine try what i did. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled twice and for what ever reason it started working fine..

i had a video of my issue:

http://youtu.be/Il3BaUy1FtE
mavgrab302

Postby DrMerlin » 10 Sep 2014, 15:07

Thanks for the suggestions- I will give it a shot.
DrMerlin

Postby DrMerlin » 15 Sep 2014, 15:51

Yep- X and Y cables were reversed. I'll have to go back and check... but I think I followed the video- which is know is wrong in a few places...

Thanks!
DrMerlin

Return to Electronics