maxtemp bed

Troubleshooting any electronic elements of the RigidBot

maxtemp bed

Postby Planwright » 06 Aug 2014, 01:37

First time I turned on my Rigidbot, I got an ERR: MAXTEMP BED. I have not been able to get past this point. Any help out there?
Planwright

Re: maxtemp bed

Postby spiderdaddy » 06 Aug 2014, 05:06

This would indicate a problem with the thermistor. But it could just be bad wiring.

Check out the troubleshooting info on the wiki.

The thermistor should measure 100 K Ohms.
Check the wiring and the soldering on the bed.
spiderdaddy

Postby greg » 07 Aug 2014, 13:13

MAXTEMP BED would be a short between the thermistor leads. It's 100k ohm at room temperature and drops as it heats up, so 0 ohms is the highest it can read. You can visual inspect the tiny surface-mount thermistor on the underside of the heated PCB, it's the only component near the center screw hole and has two conspicuous traces leading to it.

If you have a multimeter, measure its resistance directly on the board. Also measure it at the pin header on the board, those traces go to the two left-most pins when you're looking down into the connector. If it checks out, check the two corresponding wires on the heated bed ribbon cable to make sure there's no short between them. If all that fails, you're down to a short on the controller board unfortunately. You can go looking for that, but I'd open a ticket with IAP for a replacement.
greg

Postby Planwright » 12 Aug 2014, 19:36

I'm no electronics expert and it's been tough to catch IAP. I've sent several unanswered emails and all I get is voicemail for the phone contact.
Planwright

Postby spiderdaddy » 12 Aug 2014, 21:54

Hopefully one day IAP will have the capacity to be active here. It will save them a lot of time.
spiderdaddy

Postby Planwright » 29 Oct 2014, 00:43

Good news! I was able to contact IAP and they sent a replacement heat bed. Thanks to IAP.
Planwright

Postby gsmith13 » 24 Nov 2014, 18:20

I checked the resistance on the thermistor on my bed and found it was within specs. Easy way to check is to measure resistance across the white and black conductors in the cable. Should be about 100 K ohms. I then measured the resistance across the pins where these conductors plug into the board. Found the board shorted.
After disassembling the machine to get at the board, I found a solder bridge across two pins on the connector for the heated bed.
gsmith13

Postby Planwright » 30 Nov 2014, 13:00

Here we go again. After IAP had sent a new board, it worked fine. I made my first two prints flawlessly. In my third attempt, it did not come out very well and it appeared the nozzle was too high above the bed. So, I adjusted the stopper to a slightly lower level. Next print, it started fine and I turned away to let it do it's thing. Then, I heard it stop and saw that the nozzle had crashed into the board and tore up the blue tape. I turned it off, replaced the tape and tried to restart. Then, the dreaded "err:max temp bed" reappeared. This time is different from the last because now this error is stated whether or not the bed is plugged in. I suppose the crash shorted something, but what?
Planwright

Postby Planwright » 03 Jan 2015, 17:25

A month later and the err:maxtemp bed is still there. This time, I unplugged everything from the control board except the LCD panel and it still registers the error. I suspect it is in the control board. Any ideas on how to get a replacement?
Planwright

Postby Nilo55 » 26 Apr 2016, 06:08

I would go with the MKS board since sainsmart is showing problems. I shorted the heat bed when i was cutting tape on the bed and burned the Rigid card.
Nilo55

Return to Electronics